Are you in Denial?

"Even after your cigarette is long gone, you have an aura of stench that constantly emanates from your body and clothing. A smoker is like a guy who dumped gas on himself while filling up a lawnmower. He can't smell it, but everyone within 100 feet can. The next time somebody coughs when you walk by, don't assume it's 'fake.' You stink."

About Me

My photo
Mom to 3 beautiful Daughters - Grandmother to 7 wonderful Grandchildren & another on the way!! Been in Civil Engineering for over 28 years. Been with the love of my life for 18 years now. Oh and yes...I'm a Quitter!

Posts that I've previously Written

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

.....as the years go by!

As of this November 18th, 2010 it will be 4 years since Mike and I quit smoking. The events in the last four years have only strengthened and confirmed our original decision to quit smoking. I had thyroid Cancer and my thyroid has been removed. Mike and I both have Asthma. I've had Cancer cells on my cervix which were removed and now have to be checked every 6 months for their return.
The biggest change was my Mothers death this past April 12th, 2010 of COPD (Coronary Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). She was a lifetime smoker until just 20 years ago. It finally took her life at age 67. So young and such a waste.  My brothers & sisters have now lost both our parents to the addiction of smoking. This should be a wake up call to anyone in our family for sure.
 
To anyone who still smokes in our immediate family and beyond - and for anyone that had witnessed Mom's struggle close up.  Her journey was a tough one and it totally changed her quality of life for the last 20 years.  It was so hard to watch her quality of life decay the way it did.  Less movement, less visits, lack of Independence, loss of will to live and way more hospital stays. 

All these things were real.  If you witnessed our Mothers life and the struggle she dealt with daily because of this disease caused by Smoking and you can still smoke - than maybe you should ask yourself why her death and life were not enough to give you the strength to quit smoking!  What will it take then?  Guaranteed...it will take you! 
The picture above is my mother.  This was the picture that was used at her Memorial.  But this isn't the picture of Mom during the last few years.  This was after my daughter did her make up and her hair and I did a little touch up here and there with the photo.  This was my mother the last few years.  Not so healthy looking because that is what cigarettes do to you.  They age you.  They yellow you.  Until eventually they kill you.  This is the truth!  
My mother would hate these pictures I'm sure.  But she wouldn't want me to glamorize her life either when this was the truth. I miss her everyday.  Let these pictures be the strength you need to quit. 
Our quality of life has improved ten fold since we quit smoking.  We play more.  We're outside more. I play with my grandchildren.  It's nice to be able to breathe fresh air. To taste. To experience life without your head in a fog. To NOT live our lives in denial all in the name of smoking.

Cigarettes & the smoke they create are the enemy...my enemy! I want them no where in my life.

This is my right!  This is your right, too!

No comments: